Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday, October 11th...

Today was ALL ABOUT INSECTS as we introduced the Letter I/Inky Marker (short vowel) sound...

The first thing we noticed at Circle Time today was that our names had been stolen - GASP! After a quick hunt, we found that a sneaky bunch of INSECTS had taken them. The children each retrieved their own name and put it back safe and sound in our pumpkin "name" patch.

The Sneaky Insects...


The short vowel I sound is one of the trickiest sounds the children will be learning this year. It's even so tricky, that Miss Nada had a hard time figuring out a sound for it. At least that's what I think happened. The sound is that of a new marker writing on a board, kind of squeaky and quick. Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time with this particular version of the sound. I rather like to use INSECTS and INCHWORMS (coming tomorrow) and even my daughter Isabella's name as examples of the "i" sound. I also teach the kids to use the phrase "Isn't that interesting" (exaggerating the short vowel "i" sounds).

After the initial introduction, we spent a bit of time rhyming words with the "i" sound in them. Examples: fit, bit, hit, lit, sit, and so on.

Today we highlighted a few insects in this handy little guide book...


We learned a new song to help us differentiate between Insects and Spiders, it goes like this...

(Sung to the tune of "Oh My Darlin")

I'm an INSECT
Not a SPIDER
I have SIX legs instead of EIGHT.
Three on this side,
Three on that side,
Makes me an insect-
Ain't that great!

And of course, the kids favorite song... Bringing home a baby bumblebee!


In Arts and Crafts we used stamp pads and markers to make fingerprint insects!

No comments:

Post a Comment